Locatedin Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching,discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals whocome to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a placewhere your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilitieschallenged. It is a place where your diversity â of culture, thinking, learningand leading â is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know theyare part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride intheir work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbiltâs mission is to advancehealth and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, andresearch.
VanderbiltâsDepartment of Emergency Medicine is a leader in clinical care, education, andresearch.Our combined emergencydepartments see over 130,000 patients annually.We are the only adult and pediatric Level 1 trauma center in middleTennessee.Our Chairman and Residency Directormake education their number one priority by teaching a morning conference 5days a week, 52 weeks per year in addition to directing the residencyâs fiverequired hours of didactics each week.Every faculty member and upper level resident views excellent teachingas part of his or her responsibilities.For more information, please visithttps://vanderbiltem.com/ .
In your exciting, demanding, and rewarding role as Assistant to the Chair,you will provide administrative and business support to the Chairperson and/orother faculty as requested by the Chairperson independently.
Performs key administrative functions that support the Chair's leadership in department's patient care, research and educational activities.
Manages multifaceted department logistics and Chair's calendar for meetings and conferences, including travel and catering.
Works closely with other team members to assure the Chairperson's preparation for meetings, presentations or other engagements.
Compiles and prepares correspondence and other materials for the Chairperson.
Provides administrative support for internal and external committees.
Serves as an ambassador to internal and external constituents.
Unflappable and composed
Self-possessed and poised in stressful situations
Resilient when asked to make a sudden change in direction or task
Sense of urgency when appropriate
Strong written and verbal skills
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
CLERICAL/ADMINISTRATIVE (ADVANCED):- Clerical/Administration is a skillwhich includes most clerical and administrative functions typically carried outby secretaries, administrators and others who perform a clerical role. Amongthe duties are: Ad Hoc Reporting, Calendar Maintenance, Data Entry, DocumentDuplication, Document Filing and Maintenance, Document Preparation, EmployeeRecord Maintenance, Employee Time Recording, Faxing and Electronic Mailing,Inventory Management, Mail Sorting and Distribution, Meeting Coordination andScheduling, Message Management, Receptionist Tasks, Special Projects,Spreadsheet Preparation, Travel Arrangements, and Word Processing andTyping. Must possess basic skills to include:
- Advanced skill in composing and writing business correspondence
- Intermediate or better PowerPoint skills
- Basic to Intermediate Excel skills
- Advanced Outlook skills
- Advanced travel planning skills
- Basic knowledge of expense reporting
CUSTOMER SERVICE (ADVANCED):- A continuing focus on the needs andrequirements of customers, anticipating their needs, remaining sensitive tocustomers while performing services for them, responsive to customer needs.
AD HOC REPORTING (INTERMEDIATE):- The ability to access information fromdatabases and prepare reports.
NETWORKING (INTERMEDIATE):- Build relationships through industrycontacts, professional organizations and individuals.
PURCHASING - (INTERMEDIATE):- Experienced in authorizing andadministering procurement contracts and contract changes within designatedcommitment authority. Has had a prominent role in procurement, materialsmanagement, sourcing and logistics management, and supply chain management thatfall within the scope of responsibility. Acts as an authorized agent of thecompany with responsibility for managing supplier-related activities andauthority to commit company resources through contracts and agreements. Keepscurrent on competitors' buying practices. Conducts studies for new materialsand services. Works with Sales and Marketing to translate a sales forecast intoa procurement plan.
HUMAN RESOURCES POLICIES AND PROCEDURES (INTERMEDIATE):- Knowledge,adherence and application of human resources policies and procedures.
Organizational Impact: Executes job responsibilities with the understanding of how output would affect and impact other areas related to own job area/team with occasional guidance.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Analyzes moderately complex problems using technical experience and judgment.
Breadth of Knowledge: Has expanded knowledge gained through experience within a professional area.
Team Interaction: Provides formal guidance and support to team members.
- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy and enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance and gain knowledge in new areas. Manages small staff
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.
- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and modifies one's own communication style to suit different situations and audiences.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES:
- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to better address them.
- Solves Complex Problems: Approaches problems from different angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and develop concrete solutions.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employees' effectiveness.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY:
- Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues promptly.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes of problems and identifies ways to resolve them.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY:
- Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a department/area.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate opportunities.
- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processes beyond conventional approaches.
- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term challenges.
- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of emphasizing negative elements.
Â·BachelorâsDegree (or higher) or equivalent experience
Â·5years of relevant experience
Â·Positionis exempt, and flexibility is key.Typically,you will be in the office 7:00AM-4:00PM, but the ability to work some eveningsand weekends is a must.
Because weare committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, weare proud of our recent accomplishments:
Â·US News & World Report:#1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health CareProvider in Nashville, #1 Audiology (Bill Wilkerson Center), 12adult and 10 pediatric clinical specialties ranked among the nation's best, #15Education and Training
Â·Truven Health Analytics:among the top 50 cardiovascular hospitals inthe U.S.
Â·Becker's Hospital Review:one of the "100 Greatest Hospitals inAmerica"
Â·The Leapfrog Group:grade "A" in Hospital Safety Score
Â·National Institutes of Health:among the top 10 grant awardees for medicalresearch in the US
Â·Magnet Recognition Program:Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honoredin Middle Tennessee
Â·Nashville Business Journal:Middle Tennessee's healthiest employer
Â·American Hospital Association:among the 100 "MostWired" medical systems in the US
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is a comprehensive health care facility dedicated to patient care, research, and biomedical education. Our reputation for excellence in these areas has made us a major center for patient referrals from throughout the Mid-South. Each year, people throughout Tennessee and the Southeast choose Vanderbilt University Medical Center for their health care because of our leadership in medical science and our dedication to treating patients with dignity and compassion.The mission of Vanderbilt University Medical Center is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.