United States, Waukesha WI
The Buyer develops and leads sourcing strategies and initiatives for assigned direct material raw material categories. Includes negotiating contracts for lowest total cost with focus on total value.
This position is part of the global DSM Food Specialties Purchasing organization. This is for Direct Spend commodities/services.
Candidates should possess the talents, skill sets, and behaviors for potential future purchasing management consideration.
*Note: Fluency in reading/writing English and Spanish is a requirement*
- Reports hierarchically to Purchasing Manager, Americas.
- Member of Cross Functional Sourcing Team. Works in close collaboration with other BG Buyers, Contract Managers, Call-off Employees, Planning and Accounts Payable.
- Internal contact with BG Purchasing directors, Business Managers, QA-managers, Manufacturing managers, and Category managers.
- External contact with suppliers and across multiple DSM sites.
- Develops commodity and supplier strategies to achieve year-over-year cost reduction results through supplier collaboration and competition.
- Creates project plans, implementation strategies, and execution plans in conjunction with stakeholders.
- Perform assigned commodity and industry analysis, in order to develop business intelligence on supply markets
- Proactively organize sessions with stakeholders to identify further total cost of ownership (TCO) reduction opportunities.
- Recommend alternate suppliers where there is an improvement in the total cost of ownership.
- Investigate and monitor supplier’s financial condition, technical competence, facilities, and production techniques to ensure adequate supplier capacity and capability.
- Lead supplier development activities by facilitating cross-functional review meetings with suppliers in order to improve performance and further reduce cost.
- Ensure that the strategic category assigned is sourced by applying the Strategic Sourcing Methodology (SSM) process.
- Negotiate all commercial requirements and follow competitive bidding procedures when necessary to ensure the lowest total cost for specific materials.
- Formally write contracts outlining all relevant requirements, with stakeholder involvement, and finalize contracts through required signatures.
- Perform supplier segmentation according to established methodologies
- Develops contingency plans for critical materials and/or strategic suppliers.
- Resolve problems that arise in relation to delivery dates, quality, specifications, quantity or cost of purchased materials.
- Proactively record and track cost savings via the Value Tracking Tool Conventions.
- Provide support to established Operating Working Capital (OWC) goals and objectives.
- Where contracts or outline agreements are not in place, process approved purchase requisitions and purchase orders following the process through receipt and acceptance of product, to ensure timely, accurate, and cost-effective acquisition.
- Monitor pending orders for delivery dates. Inform Requisitioner of status delivery on overdue items. Resolve receiving and product defect/return issues in a timely manner. Manage discrepant invoices.
- Cross train in other commodities to serve as a backup in the function.
- Other special assignments as directed by Purchasing Manager.