CalPortland, a leading diversified building materials company with operations throughout the west, has an immediate opening for a Regional Buyer. Founded in 1891, CalPortland has a long tradition of product and service excellence. We are proud of our many contributions to major projects over the years including the Hoover Dam, Staples Center, Seattle Space Needle, San Diego Convention Center and many more, as well as our industry leadership in environmental and energy conservation. Joining our “family” means working with our superior team and participating in our excellent compensation and benefits programs. Expect More…We Deliver!
Job Title: Regional Buyer
Job Summary: The Regional Buyer will facilitate the procurement of materials and related services by the company. This includes implementing companywide agreements for operations relating to MRO, electricity, fuel, freight, raw materials and service agreements. The Regional Buyer supervises the actions of the purchase order creators and goods receipt receivers in the assigned region to insure flawless transaction completion throughout the procurement cycle. Develop on-going communications with other Regional Buyers to ensure consistent procedures and processes are followed across the Company. Work with Accounts Payable to quickly resolve any vendor payment issues.
Company Industry: Construction Materials/Manufacturing
Employment type: Regular Full-time, Salaried Exempt
- Subject Matter Expert on CalPortland procurement processes providing training and oversight to regional purchase order creator and goods receipt receiver roles
- Execute companywide single source agreements in the region for the procurement of required materials, MRO and services from approved suppliers enhancing profitability.
- Responsible for Regional PCard
- Submit suggestions to the Director of Purchasing that may improve supply chain strategies and mitigate potential shortage issues on long lead time items.
- Obtain materials, components and equipment from the approved vendor list to reduce supplier base and rouge spending.
- Plan, schedule and monitor the movement of fuel, freight, MRO and raw materials to the required destination, ensuring that every effort is made to meet delivery schedules provided by Operations.
- Expedite orders as necessary. Identify actual and potential delivery problems and take proactive steps to inform appropriate Operations personnel.
- Resolve invoice issues with suppliers and implement appropriate root cause corrections.
- Work with suppliers on technical issues as required streamlining processes.
- Update education and skill set to stay current on materials and procurement concepts.
- Verify procurement data accuracy (Parts Numbers, BOMs, Part Costs) in SAP; solve or report problems to appropriate parties.
- Identify, understand, and utilize SAP reports.
- Update written procedures for routine job responsibilities annually.
- Identify procurement problem areas and offer possible solutions.
- Participate in special assignments as requested by the Director of Purchasing.
- Work as a catalyst between Purchasing and Operations on implementing best practice procedures to eliminate non-value added work.
- Perform supplier audits to validate that they are exceeding Operation’s needs.
- Continually assess market conditions which may affect procurement and recommend materials management strategy enhancements to the Director of Purchasing and Operations managers.
- Strive to minimize freight and handling costs.
- Analyze and correct material cost variances, provide reporting to the Director of Purchasing.
- Responsible for optimizing material costs through vendor analysis, quality, schedule, and cost evaluation.
- Mentor purchase order creators and goods receipt receivers to improve skills development and promotion potential.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Purchasing