Penske Logistics Canada has a unique opportunity for a Transportation Sourcing Specialist. The primary responsibilities include purchasing transportation services from motor carriers, managing carrier performance, and ensuring carriers maintain Penske's minimum compliance standards. Responsible to document and understand customers' transportation requirements, develop RFQ's, identify and engage carriers, and negotiate the best rates and service possible for Penske's customers. Provide continuous improvement opportunities for both cost and service initiatives through data analysis and customer engagement. Study and understand transport market rate and capacity trends to ensure carrier coverage and mitigate cost impacts to the customer.
- Establish and grow relationships with truckload, LTL, intermodal, and other transport carriers in North America to support customer requirements
- Manage RFQs to establish the best rates possible and secure capacity
- Conduct regular meetings with core carriers to review cost and service performance
- Establish customer specific carrier performance standards (on-time delivery, communication, tender acceptance, etc.) and distribute monthly scorecards to the carriers and summary scorecards to our customers
- Manage the performance improvement process with under-performing carriers to either improve service or remove them from the network
- Initiate contracting with new carriers
- Provide carrier training and on-boarding to ensure compliance with Penske and customer requirements.
- Ensure all tariffs built in our transportation management system are accurate and reflect negotiated rates
- Use transport data and analytics to identify customer-specific cost and service opportunities
- Proactively develop and present savings proposals to senior leaders
- Work closely with Penske sales executives to respond quickly to perspective customer Requests for Quote
- Work closely with the Operations and Load Planning teams to trouble shoot issues and provide adequate carrier capacity
- 3-5 years of transportation purchasing experience including negotiating rates and service levels with carriers across multiple modes, including TL, LTL, Intermodal, and Expedite
- Bachelor's Degree in Logistics, Transportation or related field preferred
- Working Knowledge of carrier operations, rate structures, contracts, and tariffs required
- Excellent negotiation skills and the ability to negotiate effectively with senior executives
- Ability to complete multiple, complex, tasks and assignments
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Strong oral and written communications skills are required
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint
- Willingness to travel as necessary, work the required schedule, work at the specific location required, complete Penske employment application, submit to a reference verification (to include past employment and education history) are required
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision, Distance vision, Peripheral vision, Depth perception and Ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this Job, the associate is regularly required to stand; walk; sit and talk or hear. The associate is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms.
Penske is committed to the principle of equity in employment
Penske Logistics is a wholly owned subsidiary of Penske Truck Leasing. With operations in North America, South America, Europe and Asia, Penske Logistics provides supply chain management and logistics services to leading companies around the world. Penske Logistics delivers value through its design, planning and execution in transportation, warehousing and freight management. Visit www.PenskeLogistics.com at http://www.penskelogistics.com/ to learn more.
Keywords: Carrier Management; Carrier Relations; Procurement; Freight
Work Locations: 3065 King St East Kitchener, ON N2A 1B1
Primary Location: Canada-Ontario-Kitchener
Job: Logistics/Supply Chain
Penske (Oracle) Job Name: Logistics/Supply Chain
Req ID: 1701907